A whole list of ways to spice up your exercise and make it more effective!
This list is always getting longer – you learn something new every day 😀
At the gym …
- Try interval training. When doing cardio, don’t run at the same speed the whole time. Go fast for one minute, slow down the next, and repeat. I switch up my incline – I run flat for a minute, then at 5 incline for a minute, and so on. This burns more calories and makes things more interesting.
- Get good gear. Invest in some flattering feel-good workout clothes. When you look good, you feel good, and this will make you want to workout longer and more often.
- Do strength training. Women assume that lifting weights will make them big and bulky, but this isn’t true. You will only grow huge muscles if you do hardcore weight training- this isn’t the same as using the weight machines at the gym. Cardio is fine for burning the fat, but you need to tone up too.
- Switch it up. Don’t spend all your time on the treadmill and head home. Do half your cardio on the elliptical or the stair master, try some crunches between each exercise. Change your routine every so often so you don’t get bored. This will also prevent your body from getting too used to your routine, which hinders weight loss.
At home …
- Be a ballerina. When brushing your teeth or waiting for your tea or coffee to boil, place on hand on the counter for balance and do leg lifts. If you make a cup of tea every half hour, this will really add up to your daily caloric burn. You will also be elongating and toning those thighs!
- Every so often sit-ups. Whenever I’m watching a TV show or anything else that I would be sitting down for, I do sit ups instead. You won’t even realize how many you’re doing because you’ll be preoccupied, and this will do wonders for your abs.
- Make hand weights a habit. Just like with sit ups, I use my hand weights to work my arms when I’m watching TV or surfing the net.